Frequently Asked Questions
What infrastructure do I need to operate WAZER?
The WAZER Main Unit only has one model and can be plugged into 100-240VAC sockets. However, the Pump Box comes as different models for the specific voltage region you are in. The following answers are for both the Pump V1.5A (110 VAC 60hz) and the Pump V1.5B ( 220 VAC 50hz). Please ensure you follow the appropriate electrical connection instructions below given. You can verify your Pump model by looking at the Primary Pump Product Label on your Pump Unit.
- Pump V1.5A: The Pump Unit consumes up to 15 amps and the Main Unit consumes up to 2amps. Given traditional 110 VAC 60hz household and shop circuits you will be required to have one of the following:
- 2x 15amp circuits (common household shop application)
- 1x 20amp circuit (common industrial and shop application)
- Pump V1.5B: This Pump Unit consumes up to 8 amps and Main Unit consumes up to 1 amp. Any circuit larger or equal to 10A will be more than sufficient.
- As is usually the case with high load motors, there is an inherent “in-rush current” that will momentarily exceed the stated steady-state run currents above for a fraction of a second. The time associated with this “in-rush current” is very short and almost all household and commercial AC breakers are designed to handle this safely without tripping. However, in the rare case that you run into trouble with your breaker tripping you may need to consult an electrician to have your system checked to handle on the order of 60 amps for 150 milliseconds.
- WAZER should not be used in noisy electromagnetic environments. Some appropriate environments include laboratories, household workshops, and most machine shops. Heavy industrial environments that contain machinery or devices that induce electromagnetic interference on other adjacent devices (either on the same circuit or in the general proximity) should be avoided.
Some areas are susceptible to dirty water or water main pollution. Please be sure to install the filter canister that comes with WAZER before the inlet to the pump, to ensure water supply contaminants don’t go into the pump. We cannot be held accountable for damage caused to the pump as a result of a contaminated water supply.
- Flow Rate: Greater than 1gpm (3.8L/min). Most household and commercial water plumbing will meet this requirement. Typical bathroom faucets 1-3 gpm, kitchen faucets 2-4 gpm, and outdoor/shop hoses 3-6 gpm.
- Pressure: 35-125psi (0.24MPa – 0.8MPa). Most household and commercial water plumbing systems fall in this range. The higher in that range, the better for the Pump Box in terms of its longevity.
- Temperature: Maximum 130°F (54°C). DO NOT use a hot water line for WAZER.
- Water Hardness: Total Dissolved Solid (TDS) less than 180 mg/L. Water hardness is the biggest factor that affects the longevity of the components. Most municipal water in North America is below this figure, however we suggest you give your region a search if this is a concern.
Make sure that it does not take more than 30 feet (9m) of your Water Drain Hose to go from WAZER to the drain. Additionally, the drain location should be less than 4 feet (1.2m ) above WAZER.
- Sturdy and capable of holding over 400 lbs (160kg).
- Flat and level under load. The levelness is key for correct operation of WAZER. Maximum 1.5mm of height difference across the entire cutting bed.
- A clear area of 46” by 27” (1.2m by 0.7m) to allow for access.
- Does not deteriorate when exposed to water. When the machine is not maintained or operated properly, water may stream out from the abrasive hopper and other places.
- Good choices: quartz, stainless steel, treated solid wood
- Poor choices: plywood, unfinished MDF or particle board
- NOTE: No desktop is necessary if you plan on using WAZER with the Stand Leg Accessory. However, please keep a 62” area above the floor footprint that you intend to place your WAZER on in order to allow access to it.
- Floorspace: The Pump Box is intended to be placed on the floor and requires 30” x 26” (0.8m x 0.7m) of space to allow for adequate airflow, cables, and hoses.
AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE
40 – 100 F / 5 – 40 C. WAZER should never be operated outside of this range.
SPACE AROUND WAZER
Make sure to leave at least 12” (0.4m) of free space on the right and left sides of WAZER. On the left side of WAZER, you will need room to refill the Abrasive Hopper. On the right side, you may need access to the Control Panel.
WAZER operates with abrasive and water. Though WAZER is enclosed, it is not a sealed system, and water and abrasives will inevitably leak on some occasions, especially when the machine is not working properly. The floor surface should be water-resistant, slip proof and smooth enough for easy cleanup of spills. A nearby floor drain is also recommended. Water may stream out from under your abrasive hopper, this is one example of why WAZER needs to be placed in a water tolerant area.
PROXIMITY TO ABRASIVE STORAGE
Abrasive is heavy. If you will be cutting often make sure that the WAZER location is close to a storage area for Abrasive and Used Abrasive. Moving abrasive long distances can quickly become cumbersome.
WAZER emits noise that would be disruptive in settings such as classrooms and offices. Make sure to place WAZER in a location where the noise level of traditional shop tools like drills and saws is acceptable.
What software works with WAZER?
WAM is the only software that works with WAZER. You will need this software to convert your design files into Cut Files for your WAZER machine. WAM is browser-based and works on Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. It is a free, simple and intuitive application that allows you to use WAZER in just a few clicks. You can try out WAM for free.
Can I design my Cut File in WAZER’s software?
No, you cannot. WAM is essentially a cut file generation program, not a design software. There are a variety of different design software options that can translate your ideas and paper sketches into digital designs. These programs vary in complexity and cater to a variety of different industries and applications. They also vary in cost and have different learning curves.
WAM uses your finished drawing file (.dxf or .svg) and walks you through the procedure needed to set up your cut with WAZER.
What maintenance does WAZER require?
Maintenance for WAZER can be broken down into 3 categories:
- Short Term Service (after 20 – 100 hours of operation)
- Medium Service (after 300 hours of operation)
- Long Term Service (after 800 hours of operation)
Refer to the maintenance section of the user manual and our website for more details.
Do I need to process my design through WAM’s online software?
Yes, at the moment the WAZER product requires the usage of our online software, WAM. The WAM algorithm implements safety information, material cut setting and cut path optimization to the cut file. On top of that, WAZER constantly upgrade WAM to incorporate more features we discover and develop internally.
Despite WAM being browser based, all of the design file processing is done locally on your computer. Often there is a misconception that web based software means data is being sent and processed on servers somewhere on the internet. This is extremely far from the truth and by using WAM your design files are never sent to WAZER servers or across the internet.
As some additional insight on the matter, WAZER uses a browser based system for the following three reasons:
- Provide you free of charge updates to the software seamlessly upon login.
- Free you of software installation needs and PC/Mac compatibility issues.
- Collect information on the parameters that were chosen for a cut file so we can continue to provide meaningful updates on features and options that are actually being used.
What is WAZER’s operating cost?
- Approx. $0.24 / min (When purchasing WAZER’s 2,200 lb Abrasive Pallet, Nozzle and the Cut Bed 3-Pack)
- Approx. $0.61 / min of Abrasive consumed (When purchasing WAZER’s 55 lb Abrasive Bucket, Nozzle and the Cut Bed 1-Pack)
These operating costs include Abrasive, Nozzle and Cut Bed replacement costs, which are the primary consumables associated with operating WAZER. These costs do not include the cost of water or electricity, which vary from city to city. But water and electric costs will be relatively minor contributors to the overall operation cost in most North American cities.
What are WAZER’s consumables?
Primarily the abrasive, the Cut Bed and the Nozzle.
How loud is WAZER?
It is easy to hold a conversation next to WAZER while it is cutting. For example, we ran a live on-stage demo while giving a presentation next to WAZER at the Techcrunch Disrupt SF event. We also did interview sessions with various publications while WAZER was running. The sound energy emission measurement is 74dB, we can compare it to some appliances you may be familiar with. For example, it is louder than a dishwasher, but significantly quieter than a vacuum. It is also quieter than a grinder or bandsaw.
Is WAZER safe?
WAZER is a small footprint industrial machine tool that can cut any material and therefore can cause injury. We have taken great measures and implemented extensive safety features to design out, guard against and warn of hazards . A prime example is the door that will immediately shut off the water jet if it is opened during an operation. We have included extensive warnings, illustrations, and reminders to make sure you are aware of the associated hazards. For more details on WAZER’s safety features, please reference the Safety and Compliance section of the User Manual for details.
Is WAZER CE Certified?
WAZER has completed the machine certification for the European market, and all machines are Conformité Européenne (CE) compliant.
What is the maximum material thickness that WAZER can cut through?
How fast does WAZER cut?
WAZER’s Cut Rate varies depending on the material being cut and the material thickness, so there is no single answer. The Materials Specs table shows Cut Rates for common materials. Working with a different thickness? Use our Cutting Calculator. If you do not see the material and thickness listed that you want to cut, email us and we will test it.
If a material isn’t listed, will WAZER cut it?
What is the accuracy of WAZER?
When determining accuracy, there are several factors to keep in mind, such as material type, material thickness, fixturing, cut rate and desired geometry. Overall, the cut produced by the water stream is roughly 0.047” (1.2mm) in width, which is also the smallest width you can cut. The Gantry is accurate when lining up hole patterns from part to part, but those holes may require post drilling to get sub 0.004” (0.1mm) accuracy.
A few expectations to keep in mind while using your WAZER is that:
- The thicker the material, the more likelihood of an increased tapered cut. This means the top of the cut width will be slightly bigger than the bottom of the cut.
- If you cut a different material at the same cut quality and material thickness, you can expect to have it due to variables in the materials.
- The accuracy of the cutting stream at any given point in time will be dependent on the water shape and direction it is headed. Therefore, you may have a different accuracy across different features of the same part.
- Keep in mind, there are natural internal stresses that reside within most materials that cause them to flex and move during the cut process. How well you mount your material to the cut bed will determine the cut quality and accuracy.
- If the material isn’t firmly fastened it will vibrate or shift position during the cut.
The above instances are not unique to WAZER or waterjet cutting in general, this is also why most tool manufacturers cannot promise any accuracy of the end results.
Can WAZER engrave?
WAZER cannot engrave or etch your parts. It is designed for through cutting only. Trying to etch with waterjet cutting puts a lot of wear and stress on the internal components and will void your warranty.
Can WAZER cut materials without abrasive?
No. The hardware on WAZER is capable of cutting certain soft materials without using abrasive, but this functionality is not present in the software or firmware. However, it is quite possible that WAZER will have a software and/or firmware upgrade in the future that will allow for this.
Is WAZER Food Safe?
No, WAZER is not food safe.
Kerf and Taper
The kerf of the WAZER is approximately 0.047” (1.2mm) thick. This will be relatively consistent across most materials. Our WAM software will compensate for this cut thickness so you do not have to worry about any offsets or calculations to make sure. You should just ensure you don’t design or expect to have features that are smaller than 1.2mm in size cut out. You may notice that on thick materials the top of the cut will have a larger kerf than at the bottom of a cut, which is due to the way the water stream behaves at the material level. This brings us to our second point around taper. You can remove a lot of this taper by simply running a better cut quality setting at the expense of time and cut cost.
Max Material Thickness
In theory, the WAZER can cut materials up to 1” (25mm) thick. However, cutting anywhere near that thickness for certain material is impractical, because of a number of reasons. To gain an idea of how thick of a material the WAZER can cut, you should first pick a material you would like to cut. Then take a look at our specifications for materials and reference the maximum cut thickness for that material. If your material is not in our material specifications table, simply pick a material that has a similar hardness property in order to be able to roughly estimate it or contact our sales team who will be happy to help you.
Cut Bed Material
The cut bed is made of Polypropylene, which is a very common plastic material. It is a consumable for the WAZER and is likely to need to be changed out every 20-60 hours. Even though there are many other materials that would better withstand the cutting abuse of the WAZER, we have selected the material that will last the longest for cost. This allows us to bring you the lowest cutting cost.
Does WAZER consume a lot of water?
WAZER uses less than 10-20% of the water than that used by a conventional shower head.
Can I re-circulate the water used by WAZER?
WAZER requires the use of clean tap water as its water source. You must discard the discharge water from WAZER to your drain. Using water recirculation will introduce solid particles into the Water Pump and High Pressure system, and those particles will damage the WAZER beyond repair. Damage caused by water recirculation will not be covered by warranty.
How clean is the water being drained out of WAZER?
Our unique Abrasive Filtration System removes the abrasive and dense materials you are cutting from the water, so the waste water exiting WAZER is relatively clean. During operation, you will see the tank water is very cloudy and drain water is largely clear. This is normal, mainly due to the trace deposits that are in the abrasive. They typically stay in suspension for hours before settling out. There is minimal risk of abrasive clogging in the pipe systems downstream of the drain. However, since there are suspended solids in the water, there will always be a possibility of a clog occurring. These suspended solids increase with improper maintenance, so it is critical to maintain your machine properly.
Additionally, if you are cutting hazardous material or potentially polluting materials, the pollutant will get into the tank water. Please dispose of the waste water properly. Be sure to check your local waste water regulations if you have questions or concerns.
What water pressure does WAZER operate at?
The Nominal pressure is 4000 psi (28MPa). The operating pressure is significantly higher than that of household water pressure but lower than that of large format industrial waterjets. A lot of effort went into setting this pressure to bring you this technology at the price-point you see.
Additionally, Pressure is not the sole factor that determines the performance of a waterjet and does not tell the customer anything meaningful about the cut quality of the machine. The important performance metric to users is Cut Rate, which is a function of the entire hydraulic subsystem design. Pressure is just one element that contributes to performance, in the same way that a higher megapixel camera does not mean you are going to get better photographs (a common misconception). This is well documented in industrial waterjet literature, where there are 60,000 PSI waterjets that cut faster than 90,000 PSI machines!
Can I use a different size Nozzle with WAZER?
Everything in the hydraulic system is sized proportionally and is not adjustable. This results in a much simpler and lower-cost system. However, we are always listening. Please reach out to us with what you desire from cutting, and we will consider your needs in the design of our future accessories and products.
Can I reuse the abrasive?
We do not suggest reusing the abrasive. Why? The used abrasive will contain added particles from the cut material and cut bed that can accumulate and clog WAZER’s abrasive system. Please keep in mind, if you reuse the 80 mesh garnet, this will void your warranty.
How can I dispose of the abrasive?
The abrasive used with WAZER is called garnet. It is an inert, naturally occurring substance that is safe to simply throw away in the trash as solid waste. Used abrasives can be repurposed in other creative ways such as using it as an additive in concrete mixing or using it as fill in construction.
Can I use abrasive other than the one you sell?
It must be 80 mesh alluvial garnet. That said, we recommend WAZER Abrasive for the most reliable performance. WAZER’s cutting parameters are calibrated using this abrasive, and all the settings for the Default Materials in the WAM software are based off of many hours of testing with WAZER Abrasive. In our experience, some abrasives are inconsistent and do not work well with WAZER. As a result, problems caused by use of third-party abrasives will not be covered by our support team or in our warranty.
Please reach out to WAZER support before purchasing any third party abrasive. Our support engineer will help you determine if the shortlisted abrasive is compatible with WAZER.
Where Can I Purchase Abrasive in Canada?
The distributor is Spark & Co. They have two offices as follows:
Spark & Co. Montréal
30 Émilien-Marcoux, Unit 102
J7C 0B5 Canada
Toll free: 1-866-772-7526
Spark & Co. Toronto
PO Box 397, Station A
L6V 2L3 Canada
Toll free: 1-866-772-7526
The distributor is Manus Abrasives. They have four offices as follows:
Manus Abrasives Systems Inc. Edmonton
1040 – 78th Ave
T6P 1L7 Canada
Phone: + 1 780-468-2588
Fax: +1 780-465-7317
Manus Abrasives Systems Inc. Calgary
Unit 118 3442 118 Ave SE
T2Z 3X1 Canada
Phone: +1 403-279-1924
Fax: +1 403-236-3249
Manus Abrasives Systems Inc. Coquitlam
Unit #18-91 Golden Drive
Coquitlam (British Columbia)
V3K 6R2 Canada
Phone: +1 604-464-6979
Fax: +1 604-464-3396
Manus Abrasives Systems Inc. Winnipeg
5 Cole Ave.
R2J 1J3 Canada
Phone: +1 204-256-3324
Fax: +1 204-257-6901
Are import and duty taxes included?
Domestic orders will not be charged taxes outside of NY State. For NY State and International shipments, Duties and Taxes are not included, but we can often provide accurate estimates. Please Contact Us for questions regarding your specific country.
What is the process of receiving my WAZER?
WAZER is committed to providing a seamless purchase and fulfillment process for our international customers.
Please Contact Us for country specific details.
How do I know if WAZER is right for me?
You will never find us trying to push our product to a customer that it doesn’t make sense for. You are welcome to Contact Us to explain your use-case, and we are more than happy to advise on whether WAZER is right for you. If it is not, we will happily suggest something that is more appropriate.
How did you make WAZER so affordable?
By far the most expensive component in a traditional abrasive waterjet is the high pressure pump. These subsystems operate at 60,000-90,000 PSI, generate incredible amounts of cutting power and cost tens of thousands of dollars. We have figured out how to maintain useful cutting performance while significantly reducing the water pressure and thereby machine maintenance. So sure, we can’t cut through 2-inch-thick steel, but you probably don’t need to.
Does WAZER offer a warranty or support?
Yes. WAZER comes with a twelve month warranty and lifetime email support. You can read the complete warranty in our Terms of Service.
Where are you based?
Our home base is in New York. We also have a facility in Shenzhen.
Are you looking for help or hiring?
We’re always looking for talented individuals to join our team. Please see our current job opportunities and reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I be a WAZER distributor?
We’re always interested in partnering with people who can help make WAZER accessible to everyone. Please contact email@example.com to discuss.